Banner

Banner

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Week in HordesMachine

I played some games this week! It was good times. I played pretty badly in the first game and lost terribly.

I played pHaley with Stormwall and Storm Strider. My opponent played eVayl for the first time and top of 2 he feated and managed to triple Obliterate Haley for the win. It was actually pretty terrible play on my part.

In hindsight I think legion's shooting is just too good to play pHaley and keep her safe. Maybe with a sentinel. Anyway. Bad play by me. Good by Brandon and a good win.

I also took some pics of Brandon losing badly to Harbinger who then managing to get assassinated by incubi in a last ditch effort by Kallus. It was sweet as well.














I then played two games in Chicago at Unique Games and Gifts. My opponent was relatively new to the game. I spent a lot of time explaining things, and since I always play scenario that was another thing to try and explain. I think I did alright but I felt that it wasn't sticking. It takes some repetition.



He was a retribution player. In game one he played Kaelyssa, Shady Lady
Hydra
Daemon
Full Sentinels and UA
Full Strike Force and UA
Arcanist
Mage hunter assassin

I decided to play Nemo3, mainly because my other 'caster was Caine2, and I felt that the latter isn't very newbie friendly. I just painted up Caine2 and i was anxious to put him on the table. However, I also wanted to get some shots in with Nemo3.

Specifically I wanted to play Rowdy with him, because Rowdy is good. Rowdy with Failsafe is real good. Rowdy with Lightning Shroud kills things. Rowdy with a free focus from Finch is dope.

Rowdy is a baws.

My list was
Mid life crisis Nemo with new Stepmom
Rowdy
Thunderhead
Black 13th gun Mage toolbox
Gorman di Wulfe, Froke as Buck
Arlan Strangewayese
Rangers
Journeyman
Reinholdt



My opponent and I played Process of Elimination. We largely ignored the scenario. It's a tough one to win by a scenario. He won the roll to go first and went first.

He advanced a bit but was cautious. I almost bit. I decided to delay engagement as well. I shifted stuff around and put Failsafe on Rowdy and Lightning Shroud on Thunderhead. Arcane Shield went on Nemo.

He moved up again and missed a bunch of shots and whiffed damage rolls. He feated.

Gorman put the oil to the daemon. Rangers killed a bunch of strike force. Black 13th killed more. Thunderhead pulsed and killed nothing, but then crit disrupted the hydra and broke its shield.

I feated with Nemo and used lightning to kill like 5 sentinels. It was weak. Not a great feat. I didn't play it well.

My opponent crushed the thunderhead. He killed a few rangers. Kaelyssa killed Gorman. A player on another table convinced him to go to for my journeyman, but I felt that wasn't a good idea. The newer player listened and his Mage hunters did not kill Jr needing 8s to hit and dice -4 to damage.

It was a non-shocking non-turn of events.

I was losing a flank to the sentinels but my opponent couldn't kill Ryan. Ryan killed a ton of sentinels with a gunfighter mage storm.

Nemo killed all but one sentinel. Rowdy wrecked the Daemon in precisely the same way a Baws might. The rangers killed some more Mage hunters and they failed their command check.



I was winning on attrition but I'd left Nemo a bit vulnerable. My opponent was too green to see it, but the hydra and Kaelyssa could have shot at 14/16/14 Nemo and probably ended the game.

They didn't. Rowdy wrecked the hydra as well. I wound up winning on scenario because he had no non-fleeing models in the second zone. Reinholdt ftw!

There wasn't anyone else to play so we played again. I pulled out my first Caine2 list.

Caine 2, who has all the shots
Ol rowdy
Squire
Reinholdt
Rangers
Boomhowler and Co
Journeywomans
Black 13th
Gorman di Wulfe, Kung Lao Impersonator
Epic Elf



My opponent played

Vyros of the Bird
Hyperion (ruh roh raggy!)
Full sentinels and UA
Two Mage hunter assassins
And some other stuff? It seems light. I must be missing something.

I ran up. He advanced and killed 3 rangers with aoes and strafe. His mage hunters and sentinels moved too far forward.

Ryan dropped a Mage storm on the Mage hunters.
The rangers mugged his sentinels and then Caine himself moved up and killed 4 before casting Blur on himself and gatecrashing back (read gatecrash for the first time tonight OMG teleport good!).

Boomhowler called out super tough and then they ran up around the Hyperion, not engaging it but taking up real estate. The sentinels killed two trolls and Hyperion killed 5 more. No tough rolls for me.

However the sentinels were bunched up for defensive line and rangers and Ryan finished them. I repositioned and had Boomie rage howl. Eiryss tried to shoot vyros and died for it next turn. Caine and his retinue repositioned.

God rage howl is good against colossals. -2 to hit hurts so much!

Hyperion killed Gorman and Ryan with a well-placed sunburst cannon. Vyros killed elf.

I went for an assassination run, charged squire in the back and killed it, then bought shots on Hyperion to ramp up damage and never stopped. I almost went for some shots on Vyros, but I wound up doing over 30 damage to Hyperion and breaking both it's arms instead.

Boomie howled again.

Hyperion needed to hit a 14 on his sunburst cannon shot for the win, and didn't. Vyros charged rowdy and scratched the paint. Rowdy finished the game.


We played Close Quarters, but we didn't really go for scenario. It was a decent game, but sometimes newer players get too much advice in a single game. I'd never played Caine, and my boy Tmage showed up to kibitz during my feat. He walked away from the table while I was considering shooting vyros instead of Hyperion and only offered some advice after the game: "always buy, never boost".

Which was good advice. Rowdy did some serious work this evening. My first game with thunderhead and Nemo3 has convinced me that it's not so good a combo. Energizer and Locomotion are way good for that 'jack.

Good games at least. Nice opponents all.

-Merlin out
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment