Banner

Banner

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Monday Night Skorne

So I picked up another hordes battlebox (or warpack as they are called) because I wanted to have two for demonstration purposes. I decided on Skorne because. . .they looked fun. The models are pretty gorgeous as well. I was planning on painting up a small Skorne force here and there, not playing a ton of the faction but just getting my toes wet.

However.

I also choose a new paint scheme, a tutorial from the pages of Privateer Press' No Quarter magazine. The tutorial is essentially a primer on how to paint troops with Black armor, which is a challenging thing to do with shades and highlights. PP's poster models are the Black Dragon Iron Fang pikemen from Khador. I used that tutorial and painted up the warlock in the Skorne warpack, Master Tormentor Morghoul.



And it's my best painting to date. Which is a little irritating. I didn't want to love the hell outta my Skorne. But I think I do. Holy crap am I happy with this stuff.

I just had to play morghoul after getting him painted. I borrowed some Skorne models from Charlie and played a 35 pt game with Brandon. My list is pretty bad. It's just the models I have available. There's not a lot of synergies here aside from obvious ones, and some of the models aren't pulling their weight.

I played:
Morghoul
Aptimus Marketh
Titan Gladiator (painting this week; another lovely model)
Tiberion, character clubber
2 x Cyclops Savage light warbeasts
Minimum pain giver beast handlers
Orin Midwinter
Swamp Gobbers
Agonizer
Extoller Soulward

Brandon played
Lylyth, Shadow (?) of Everblight (prime)
Carnivean
Scythean
2 x shredder
Striders w UA and Deathstalker
Blackfrost Shard

The scenario was Diversion, a winnable radial scenario. I won the roll and went first.

I had to decide whether to attack my flag or defend against him scoring. Morghoul has a tiny control area. I decided that the fight would happen on his flag, keeping him from scoring. I moved everything toward it.

He advanced and put some combined ranged attacks into my front beasts, rolling boxcars on two of his three damage rolls (ouch). Other than that not much happened.

I moved up my savages to jam him, forgetting to heal the mind of the one who'd taken the most hits. Tiberion killed three Striders.

Morghoul popped his feat to prevent enemy models being forced in his tiny control bubble. It should have kept my beasts safe from harm. The Agonizer used Gnawing Pain to keep the Carnivean and Scythean from advancing too far forward. I felt that I'd made a decent little defensive bubble, with the gobbers putting a cloud up on Morghoul as well.



But Lylyth can mark a target with her bow so that her beasts can charge without forcing. Luckily the Striders and shard didn't mug my jamming cyclops too much, though Lylyth herself cast Parasite on Tiberion and did some damage, and popped her feat. The shard did cast kiss of lyliss on Tiberion, debuffing his armor to 16. The Carnivean failed to kill the Cyclops. The Scythean failed to kill Tiberion by missing a 5 on 3 dice.

So things went better than expected. Morghoul abused Tiberion and healed him as well. He charged a shredder, killed it and then sprinted back to cast rush on the gladiator.



My savage jamming near the flag frenzied and did nothing important. He had a handful of hit boxes left. The gladiator charged the Scythean and killed it easy with enrage. I lost my right-hand savage to a free strike from the Carnivean. Then Tiberion murdered the Carnivean and had the fury left to buy and boost an attack to squash a blackfrost shard.

Losing two heavies and a shredder kicked Brandon in the pants pretty hard. He managed to get Tiberion, but the next turn the gladiator got rid of the shard and his last shredder, Morghoul killed all the Striders remaining with Anatomical Precision and Overtake, and my remaining savage got healed and managed to hit Lylyth for some damage. I also scored a scenario point.

I'd run out of time on my deathclock, but overall it was a strong performance. We decided we both won. Him on time and me by attrition.

Skorne is kinda fun. The gladiator is proving difficult to paint though. I hope I can keep the quality up.

-Merlin out
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment