Banner

Banner

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Building Lists v. Building Factions

Many excellent warmachine and hordes players recognize that playing factions is alright, but playing one caster or warlock and building a single solid list is cheaper and tends to be a better play experience. I'm not necessarily a good WarmaHordes player, but I can see the advantages.

I chose to play Cygnar, and I've collect a good portion of the faction, which gives me lots of options when playing Cygnar. However, I've only been playing the Warcaster Constance Blaize in the last two months, and so much of my Cygnar stuff is dusty.

Also, getting skills requires some dedication to a strategy. Having a single 'caster to work with makes it easier to become jouzu at the game. Having a huge faction worth of possibilities leads to a shallow understanding of a broad range of things instead of a deep understanding of a few.

Further, my Trollbloods exploration has made me rethink buying into a whole 'nother faction. I'd rather build a couple solid lists and work from there.

Don't get me wrong: tournament play generally requires several lists from the same faction, but in general it's cheaper to work in lists rather than factions.



To this end, I decided to build a Trollbloods Grim Angus list. One reason is cost: Grim supports mercenaries as well as his own troops, unlike most Troll warlocks, so my Nyss Hunters are ready to work for him. Another reason is that Grim looks like a lot of fun, with a series of debuffs to help his army land hits and buffs to help his stuff move and target. He's really all about buffing accuracy. On top of the rest, he's got a gun, so I can shoot with him. That's something I like about Cygnar warcasters, so it fits into my comfort zone despite being in a different faction.

Looking through the Trollbloods faction book, I decided I would buy a heavy warbeast (because the goddamn warpack didn't come with one) and a full unit of trolls. Then I would cherry pick support solos and the like to support those troop choices, and add in the Nyss Hunters to fill out the list.

I read Sevwall's strategy article about the Pygmy Burrowers unit ("Dygmies") on the Privateer Press forums, and it paints a convincing picture of the Dygmies as a versatile, difficult-to-deal-with unit. They are dirt cheap in army-points cost, but they're also terribly, awfully inaccurate. Trolls have access to a lot of solos who buff units, however, and many warlocks also help. I decided to buy me some Dygmies.

For a heavy, I took a look at the several options available and decided that the Earthborn Dire Troll was the most versatile. It's got a lot of terrain-variable buffs, it can often hit as hard as whatever it's hitting, and it's animus can give buffs to other friendliest based on nearby terrain. It's good. It also has pathfinder, just like Grim, and just like the burrowers, and just like the Nyss Hunters.

So my Grim list is very much shaping up to be a list built around taking advantage of available terrain.

At 15 points it looks like:

Army Name: Grim Beginnings
Trollbloods
15+6 points, 13 models

Grim Angus +6 points
* Earthborn Dire Troll 10 points
* Troll Impaler 5 points

10 Pyg Burrowers 6 points

It has quite a few weaknesses at this level. With only one heavy hitter it will have trouble killing the tougher enemy warcasters and warlocks. I won't be able to afford trading the Earthborn Dire Troll (EBDT) for an enemy heavy unless I feel the burrowers and Impaler can finish the caster. The Dygmies really require some support solos to shine. They have a miserable melee attack stat and a similarly poor command check. To buff those they need a Fell Caller Hero and Trollkin Champion Hero nearby. Grim buffs their accuracy somewhat, but the additional buff from the Fell Caller takes them from good with Grim's feat to hitting just about everything on average rolls. Their poor command leaves them vulnerable to Terrifying entities (lich lords and such) or Abominations (bigger lich lords and such), but the Champ Hero is a battlefield commander with a respectable Command stat.

So to pump the list up to 25 I would take those two solos, each of which cost 3 points (they also kick butt themselves, so the cost isn't too painful). With the remaining 4 points I had a lot of choices, but I would settle on either Janissa Stonetide, another 3 pt solo, and the Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew, or a 3 troll, 4 pt unit of Runeshapers. Probably the former.

These support pieces add a lot to the burrowers and Grim's survivability without reducing their overall punch. However, at 25 the lack of a second heavy might hurt the list's performance somewhat. High-armor opponents might give it trouble, but hopefully if I can kill a heavy with the burrowers, or with the Earthborn during Grim's feat turn, I can win the attrition war. If I can get an Earthborn charge on an enemy 'caster they will probably also die, so that's a secondary option. The EDT can get a 12" charge if circumstances permit, so that can surprise some players.

At 35 points, I still don't add a second heavy, mostly because I don't own one. Instead I add the Troll Axer for his animus and his infantry-clearing thresher attack, and with the last 4 PTs put the Runeshapers in. I could add the Krielstone bearers with UA instead of the Runeshapers (dropping the Gobbers for a full unit) instead, but I don't have the stone yet, and I'm not sure Grim really needs it.

The Runeshapers give the list 3 magical aoe attacks, and if they crit they cause knockdown. At this point the list is very much about clearing a charge lane for the EDT to get an assassination. The aoes, the thresher attacks, and the burrowers cause a lot of problems for enemy infantry, and they can open some serious holes for the Dire Troll to fly across the board.

Grim's Cross Country spell can even allow the EDT to target enemies through forests which normally would block LOS, and the Axer animus can give the Earthborn yet another 2". If it gets all the buffs in a single turn (Axer animus, starts w/i 2" of rough terrain for +2 spd, and Grim shoots the target with his rifle to add 2" with Bait the Line) it can charge 14" away, and with its melee range of a half inch it can get to a lot of enemies. The thing to remember is to move Grim far enough forward that the EDT is still in his control to be forced.

That can be dangerous of course, but on the feat turn the speed debuff can keep Grim safe from much reprisal.

At 50 I add in my aforementioned Nyss Hunters, and. . .another Impaler at the moment. It's not optimal, but with the models I currently own that's where I'm at. I'll eventually get a Slag Troll and fit that in at 50 instead. That thing can wreck it some constructs.

Overall the list will struggle with high armor, but with any luck I can control the board enough to outflank or out last my opponent.

-Merlin out

No comments:

Post a Comment