Banner

Banner

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Torpid Blood Report

I played in a 17 player tourney hosted by David Wilson yesterday. It was a decent turnout and there were good games to be had. The Flint crew that I came with did exceptionally well for us, and Devin and Robb made the finals. Even more shocking, Robb won. He gives me some credit for his victory. Apparently by not making the finals I had no opportunity to backoust him during the same.

That's fair.

I played a silly War Ghoul deck I've been kicking around lately. Originally it was a Terrifisto superstar deck. Since Mr. T is the Archbishop of Detroit I titled it "Represent!" However, since the printing of Agent of Power T is obsolete in the deck. Horatio can do the whole trick on turn 2 most of the time.

Represent!

Crypt: 12 dudes
2 x Horatio 2-cap Sabbat Tzimisce vic
2 x Terrence (and Phillip) 4-cap Sabbat Tzimisce vic aus ani
2 x Lolita Houston 4-cap Sabbat Tzimisce aus VIC
2 x Devin Bisley (D-Biz) 5-cap Sabbat Tzimisce AUS ANI vic
The Rose 5-cap Sabbat Tzimisce PRE VIC aus
Elizabeth Westcott 5-cap Sabbat Tzimisce AUS vic ani cel
Piotr Andreikov 2-cap Sabbat Tzimisce Black Hand aus
Wendy Wade 3-cap Sabbat Tzimisce aus ani

Library (71 cards):

Master Cards (18, 10 trifle):

6 x Agent of Power
1 x Dreams of the Sphinx
1 x Giant's Blood
2 x Fame
2 x Obtenebration
2 x Vessel
2 x Wash
2 x Charisma

Action cards (24):
8 x War Ghoul
8 x Nocturn
1 x Carlton Van Wyk
1 x Vagabond Mystic
1 x Gregory Winter
4 x Asanbonsam (Cosby) Ghoul
1 x Unlicensed Taxicab

Action Mods (7):
2 x Lobotomy
2 x Shroud of Night
3 x Changeling

Combat (9):
2 x Chiropteran Marauder
2 x Meld w the Land
5 x Trap

Combo (3):
3 x Plasmic Form

Event (3):
1 x Dragonbound
2 x The Unmaskening

Reaction (7):
3 x On the Qui Vive
3 x Telepathic Misdirection
1 x WWEF

It's a cute little deck, but with a bad draw it can be painful. Absolutely no one has Obtenebration, and if I don't get AoP or the skills early, my game is hosed.

Round one:






Matt (kyasid toolbox) -> Me (Represent!) -> Kevin (Petaniqua Garou Storm) -> Sam (Maris and Presence Malks)

I got everything I needed early. On turn two Piotr had no resistance when he summoned a Nocturn, Nocturn bled for the Edge, and the Piotr made the shadow demon into a flesh beast. Good stuff. Kevin got a wild look in his eye at this point. On turn 3 Lolita did the same thing while Piotr bled. Marconius popped up behind me and Quentin King III was in Sam's ready region.

I got up my entire uncontrolled region out: Lolita, Piotr, Horatio, and Wendy. Also got 3 WGs, Greg, and 2 Cosby Ghouls in play.

Kevin still brought out Petaniqua ADV. I considered NOT crushing her into oblivion, but when I realized she had AUS and the potential to kill a WG without red cards when merged I scrapped the idea of a normal game. I knocked her into torpor.

Matt bled me a bit with Dominate, but I had the Unmasking and two Cosby Ghouls in play, and his deck was more bruise and bleed than S + B. He killed my two blocky Ghouls and Julia Prima bled me for 4 with a Govern, but after that I murdered his ready region.

Kevin brought up Eurayle to support his werewolf engine, but I beat her up in short order as well. He did manage to Resurrect a Cosby Ghoul from my ash heap and recruit Carlton, but it was futility at this point. All the crosstable rescues in the world didn't stop me ousting him. Dragonbound sealed his fate and Matt's as well.

In the one on one Sam's Malks couldn't bleed and vote my pool away before my 3 War Ghouls killed his minions. He conceded shortly afterward.

Me 3 VP and GW, Sam 1 VP

Game MVP: asanbonsam ghoul. Thang kept me alive through the Kyasid lunges so that I could win.

Game 2:

Me (Represent!)-> Jimmy (malk wall)-> Eric (Akunanse toolbox)-> Phil (toreador grand ball)-> Ryan (Toreador. . .?)






This game had such potential. My opening crypt draw was Piotr, Lolita, Horatio, and Terrence. Nice. My opening hand was Agent, Fame, Obtenebration skill, Nocturn, War Ghoul, Chiropteran Marauder, and Trap. Fuck yes.

But I went first.

I put a blood on Lolita and proceeded. Jimmy put two on Dolphin Black. Everyone else went for big caps, but when I got Lolita up Jimmy got Dolphin. He blocked every action I took for the first 4 or 5 turns.

When the dust settled, Jimmy had Dolphin and Anatole. I had my whole crypt draw. Eric had Kamiri Wa Itherero and Amavi, Phil had Alexandra and Tatiana Romanova, and Ryan had Eugene and Katherine (c? 7-cap tor g5?).

Eventually everyone but me and Ryan got another minion. Jimmy got Kite, Eric got Sanjo (maybe. Don't recall), and Phil got Vicky Ash.

I told Jimmy that if he was gonna block all my actions I'd just bleed him with my 4 guys every turn until Ryan ousted me. Anatole got a .44 and put Horatio and Piotr into torpor. Then Jimmy said "you can play your game."

I felt this was odd. I got a War Ghoul and crushed Anatole. Jimmy wasn't expecting my Trap. He played like 4 Aura Reading for cards, never looking at my hand. Oh well. Anatole never escaped torpor either.

And there we sat for like an hour and a quarter. Jimmy couldn't draw the stealth to get past Eric's animalism intercept with KS. Phil couldn't draw votes to oust. Ryan bled me every turn but wasn't drawing bleed cards.

Jimmy brought himself low with an Assault Rifle on Kite (which killed my Dub-G). Eric got another minion, dropping to two pool. Phil started bleeding like crazy. Ryan kept up the pressure.

I tried to sucker Jimmy into blocking Lolita with Dolphin Black (who I'd made famous) most of the end game. I still had a Chiropteran Marauder, and I still could have gotten a vp at least. He never took the bait.

Ryan got me as the first oust of the game, and Jimmy got Eric, and then Phil got Ryan. This all happened with like 10 minutes to go. The table then timed out.

Jimmy 1.5 vp, Phil 1.5 vp, Ryan 1 vp.

No MVP.

Somebody let Dudock win the finals. I blame David Wilson. We'll see what Robb has to say.

-Merlin out

Location:Ypsilanti MI

3 comments:

  1. I'd drop lobotomy in future builds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't all my fault that Robb won the finals, I simple brought a knife to a gun fight. I made a few bad plays but I think I had no shot at winning and with Devin erasing Robb's prey and then not adequately putting Robb down, Robb got rolling without any trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devin's good at wrecking his prey. Was Jimmy his predator? Devin makes decks that wish their pred wasn't there at all, so wall decks are like the best for him. He just totally ignores the guy on his right and powers left.

    ReplyDelete